Lectures on Civil Service Reform.

President Eliot presided at the meeting in Sanders Theatre last night, and made a few brief introductory remarks. He spoke of the evil effect on public education of the spoils system, and showed from his own experience with the Harvard corporation that reform in the direction of more permanent appointments would be in no way unfair because of exclusiveness. After a hearty recommendation of the Civil Service Reform Club, which is to be formed tonight, he introduced the first speaker of the evening, Mr. Moorfield Storey.

Mr. Storey spoke of the need for Civil Service Reform. He said that each year $100,000,000 is paid in salaries to Federal officials alone. This enormous sum, raised nominally for the public service, is regarded only as a fund for helping the interests of the party in power, for supporting its friends, and for realizing its own private gains. There is a vast horde of office seekers striving for some portion of these immense spoils, and the struggle is one into which no man of brains and character is willing to enter. This unwillingness is increased by the great uncertainty in the tenure of office; for the official is appointed solely in the interests of his party, and no mere merit can save his position when his party goes out of power or when he becomes politically less serviceable to it.

The spoils system affects others besides the office seeker and holder. In listening to the demands and weighing the claims of the multitudes of competitors, the time of members of Congress and of the president is unprofitably wasted. They have no leisure for the serious affairs of government, and the evils of this condition of things are shown in the steady deterioration of the legislature at the present day. The active evils of the spoils system were illustrated by Mr. Storey at great length, but cannot be entered into here.

Mr. Richard Henry Dana was introduced by President Eliot to speak of the way of securing Civil Service Reform. He gave many illustrations of particular cases in explanation of the general method adopted, which is that of careful examination in all branches of the service. It has been objected to this that the examinations could not be adequate, and would be easily passed by young and inexperienced men. Such is far from being the case. The questions asked are invariably such as need experience and special fitness to answer them, as is amply proved by the fact that almost without exception the men who have been appointed on probation after examination have had their appointments confirmed. Two certificates of character which are required, combine with the examinations to ensure a high grade of officials, and the system of marking eliminates entirely the power of favoritism.