The Harvard Night.

When Mr. Irving was asked to give an address to the students, it was suggested that it would probably make a very pleasant occasion if Harvard men and their friends were allowed to purchase as great a portion of the tickets for some particular evening as they wished to do. Mr. Irving and the management were favorable to the idea, and the matter was, by them, entrusted to the CRIMSON. It was thought to be the most fitting mode of procedure to ask the presidents of the two upper classes to select a committee which should put the idea into practical form. This committee have now determined most of the important points. At a meeting Saturday, the method of selling seats was decided upon. Blank forms of application will be printed today and may be obtained at Leavitt and Peirce's and at Thurston's. They will probably be ready tomorrow morning. These blanks will explain the prices of tickets and under what conditions they will be sold. Applications must be returned to the committee before 4 p. m., March 5. All tickets will then be assigned by lot. Present members of the University only will be allowed to apply at this time. Afterward, opportunity will be given to graduates to apply for the remaining tickets.

It is possible that the number of tickets for which application is made may be larger than the whole number of tickets, and in that case the maximum number of tickets given on any one application will be reduced so that all applications may be at least partially filled. It is possible that tickets of one price may be exhausted while those of other prices are still left. To make provision for both of these possibilities and, at the same time, to consult the wishes of applicants as far as possible, the committee direct that the applicant shall select out of a list of all the orders those which he would be willing to accept as substitutes. The committee will then know, in case the first choice cannot be given, what may be substituted.

The committee suggest that if a very small sum, in addition to the price of the tickets, is given by each applicant, it will be possible, with the total of these small sums, to obtain flowers, or possibly, some other gift for Mr. Irving and Miss Terry. This matter will of course be wholly voluntary, and will in no wise affect the allotment of seats.

The date has been set, provisionally, for March 15. The play has not yet been selected. A few features, as souvenir programs and the like, will lend the occasion a distinctive tone.