Professor Hanus's lecture.

Professor Hanus lectured last night on the study of education. He said that the study of education holds much the same position that was held a few years ago by the study of English. It was formerly supposed that every child would learn to speak correctly and would become well acquainted with English literature by contact with English speaking people and by such reading as he did voluntarily. This was a mistaken idea. It is now changed and English holds a fair position in almost all high schools and an excellent position in all good colleges. Up to within a few years ago, and even now to a large extent, the study of education was viewed in the same way. It was thought that the only education necessary for a teacher was a thorough training in his subject and some slight professional training in a normal school. That every one should study the art of education is a novel idea. But it is certainly necessary that every one should understand the training of children and the best ways of teaching them. This, people are ready to grant, but still cannot realize that instruction is needed. But it is something too complex for self instruction and instruction is so much needed that it should, therefore, occupy the highest position in all education.

It was thought that this training would be all theoretical-that the only way for a man to learn the art of teaching was to practice it. But a man whose time is engaged in teaching a special subject is too much taken up with that to think about methods and general principles. Accordingly universities-are now beginning to take up the subject. Two years ago courses in pedagogy were first given here, and last year the faculty voted to allow them to count for a degree. They are intended for general students as well as for specialists, but of course a man who studies them for general knowledge would not take the advanced and detailed courses any more than a man studying physics for a broad education would take all the courses that an electrical engineer might need.

Teachers should at first learn to appreciate the aim of their teachings. It is not only that their scholars may acquire information, but it is much more that their minds may be broadened and enabled to work independently, that their wills may be strengthened, and that their characters may be developed. The teacher's object is always to promote growth.

When the teacher has learned the aim of his teaching, he must next study how he shall teach,-that is, study method. There can be no universal rules laid down, but in the course here given the endeavor is made to give some light and assistance to those who are trying to find out the best ways.

Professor Hanus then spoke briefly of the work of the "Committee of Ten," and in greater detail of some of the courses in the Theory of Education offered at Harvard.