Address by Rev. Edward Abbott.

Rev. Edward Abbott of St. James' Church, Cambridge, conducted the regular meeting of the St. Paul's Society last evening. He read from the fifth chapter of Hebrews and took as his text: Though he were a Son, yet learned He obedience by the things which He suffered.

The fact that Christ was a Son of God did not exempt Him from the suffering of the world. A part of His mission on earth was to learn obedience and this He could only do through suffering. Suffering is not a mishap but is sent by God to teach us trust, submission and obedience. It is a part of the education of our lives and is alone able to make us trustful, submissive and obedient.

In connection with another passage in the same chapter, Dr. Abbott spoke of our ability ot discern good and evil. He said that man is naturally bad, and in bearing this load of evil his moral faculties are impaired. To develop this power of discernment is life's hardest task and the one upon which we must bestow our greatest care. Every familiarity with evil undermines our moral nature and strengthens the evil that is in us. On the other hand our associations with good break down the wrong and build up the right. God's aid alone is able to give us this ability to divide the good from the evil.