Resignation of Professor Lane.

At a meeting of the President and Fellows of Harvard College, held yesterday, the President read a letter from George Martin Lane, resigning the Pope Professorship of Latin from Sept. 1st, 1894. In respect to this the following votes were passed:

1. That Professor Lane's resignation be accepted in accordance with his deliberate purpose and desire, to take effect Sept.1, 1894.

2. To proceed to the election of a Pope Professor of Latin, Emeritus, from Sept. 1, 1894; whereupon, ballots being given, it appeared that George Martin Lane, Ph. D., was chosen.

3. To communicate this election to the Board of Overseers, that they may consent thereto if they see fit.

4. To pay to George Martin Lane, Pope Professor of Latin, Emeritus, a retiring allowance of $3,000 a year from and after Sept. 1, 1894.

5. To request the Pope Professor of Latin, Emeritus, to give at his pleasure instruction to such advanced students as he may choose to receive, but without coming under obligation to give instruction during any definite portion of the academic year.

Professor Lane was born in Charlestown, on Dec. 24, 1823. He received his education in Cambridge schools and at Harvard College, graduating with the class of 1846. After teaching for a year here, Professor Lane went to Germany, where he studied for four years at the universities of Gottingen and Berlin, taking a Ph. D. from the former institution. When he returned to Cambridge in 1851 he was appointed professor of Latin, and later he was elected Pope Professor of Latin.

He delivered the salutatory at Commencement in 1846, and at the inauguration of President Everett he made the Latin address. Professor Lane has for a long time been a correspondent for the Nation. His Latin Grammar, which will be the greatest work of his professional career, is being printed by Harper Bros., and will soon appear.