The Monthly.

"Recollections of Thomas Hill Green," by Charles P. Parker, has the leading place in the Monthly for March. It will prove interesting to individuals doubtless, but the majority will turn more readily to the fiction of the number. The same might be said of "Thomas Hardy's Fatalism as Art," by W. T. Denison. Both articles are of the kind of which each Monthly contains one or more specimens,- serious subjects well treated, but without doubt intended to appeal to the individual or specialist rather than to the general class of readers.

In passing from one piece of fiction to another, the attention is caught by the contrast between Pierre la Rose's "Toy Drama" and the "Solitude" of H. C. Greene. The former is a well told story, interesting through its clever introduction and treatment of persons who are acting from the most common of human impulses. "Solitude," on the other hand, while well told, derives its whole interest from the trials of an individual whom philosophical doubts have thrown out of harmony with the world. The meaning of the story is evasive, and to many who search for it will probably remain but imperfectly understood.

The unknown author of "A Crime" has done well in his description of a murderer impelled by consciousness of petty wrongs done him, and perhaps also by a slight insanity, which the whole tone of the story suggests.

The editorial which closes the number, dwells on the importance of "Mr. Irving's Message to the University." It speaks again, and forcibly, of the mistaken conception of individuality which prevails at Harvard.