Salaries of College Men.

Some statistics recently gathered at the University of Pennsylvania have a bearing on the question of whether the college graduate is fitted to earn his living. Not long ago a census was taken of the first twenty-five graduates of the School of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. It was found that eight are consulting engineers, with their own offices; seven are superintendents and assistants in large plants, and one has charge of all repair work and special designing in the largest locomotive works in the country. Three manage concerns which they own entirely or in part, two are superintendents of gas improvement companies, three have responsible railroad posititions, and the last is a naval constructor, working on important government contracts. Investigation of college classes recently graduated at Pennsylvania shows that men out of college four years were earning on an average $1540 a year, while the graduates of three years' and two years' standing were earning respectively $1020 and $920. These figures are affected by the fact that many of the men took three years of professional study after their college course.