Students' Volunteer Movement.

A meeting of the college religious organizations and other members of the University interested in the Students' Volunteer Missionary Movement was held last night in Holden Chapel. The meeting was called for the purpose of hearing reports from the delegates to the convention which was recently held at Detroit. Mr. L. H. Roots of the Divinity School, conducted the meeting, and, after an opening prayer, called upon A. E. Bailey '94, to give a short historical survey of the Students' Volunteer Movement. When the movement was started in 1886 by Mr. Moody, at Northfield, Conn., only twenty-one men presented themselves, and now over three thousand men have been definitely pledged to undertake work in the mission fields. Nearly five hundred institutions of learning are represented and the movement work is being carried on, not only in this country, but in Europe, India and Africa.

The organization is not so desirous of sending out men as it is to stimulate the missionary spirit in the colleges. Notwithstanding this over six hundred college men are now at work in foreign missions.

F. P. Gulliver Gr., the second speaker, said that twelve hundred students were present at the Detroit convention and that three hundred different colleges were represented. The immense scope of the movement may be seen from the fact that thirty-eight denominations were represented by the delegates.

R. C. Thomas '96, spoke on the Threefold Preparation for the Volunteer work. He said that education, common sense and the possession of God's spirit were absolutely essential for successfully carrying on mission work.

A. L. Shapleigh 4 Med., spoke on the medical missionary and told of the wonderful influence which a physician alone can exercise over the ignorant natives.

A. E. Addison '96, told of his impressions of the convention. To carry on mission work, he said, is one of our most blessed privileges for doing God's will.

It necessitates a complete sacrifice of self and the giving up of every pleasure and comfort, yet it is not to be taken in the light of self sacrifice. It should be considered as a joyful renunciation and as our duty in order to further the work of Christ among our fellow beings.