Annual Report of President Low.

The annual report of President Seth Low to the trustees of Columbia College, covering the work of the college in all its departments during the academic year ending June 30, 1893, has just been issued.

President Low, in presenting his report, refers to the steps by which the college has passed from the condition in which it consisted of a number of unrelated shools, into a well-organized university, having a common life which animates every part. This process involved the absorption of the College of Physicians and Surgeons as the medical school of the university and the creation of two schools of Philosophy and Pure Science to conduct the advanced work in philosophy, philology, and letters, and in mathematics and natural science.

A university council was thus made possible which should be representative of the whole body of educators in the university. This form of organization, with its representative university council and its many faculties, has abundantly justified all the hopes entertained for its success.

The policy of extending the influence of the college and enlarging the privileges of the students by the process of affiliating with existing institutions has been continued during the year by the agreement entered into with the Teachers' College, by which the schools of the latter college are at the service of the students of Columbia for observation and practice, and the courses of instruction to teachers are also open to them.

The revised statutes, which went into effect on July 1, 1892, changed the policy of the college as to free tuition. In accordance with these statutes no free tuition can be granted to any one during the first year of his connection with the university, unless he holds an endowed scholarship, but thereafter every

(Continued on third page).