Post-Graduate Work in English Universities.

There is a movement on foot in the English universities to render their postgraduate research departments more popular among foreign students. The reason that these universities are not more popular among advanced American students is because they have no post-graduate work, in the American sense of the term. The "Tripos" system at Cambridge of dividing all men into three classes of honor at the final examinations, demands most sever work with a coach for a long succession of years, and, after the final examination upon the success or failure in which depends the whole work in the previous years, there is nothing to do but to coach others, or begin independent research work.

In consideration of this condition of affairs, Dr. Lawrence of Cambridge has written a letter to the senate of the university in which he shows what excellent facilities the university has for carrying on graduate work, and in which he expresses the belief that, if such work was started, a large proportion of the American students who now complete their training in German universities would be attracted. Dr. Lawrence favors the introduction of a new degree, such as the Doctorate of Philosophy.

This plan does not, however, receive support at Oxford. The Oxford Magazine says that the result of this postgraduate study would be "that we shall be overrun with foreign persons introducing their strange ideas of society, and any further advance in that direction would certainly be regretted in after years."