The Advocate.

The current number of the Advocate is a good deal above the usual average; the editorials are good, and the communications and Topics of the Day are interesting, and the stories on the whole are excellent.

The first editorial continues one begun in a recent issue; the subject is "athletic management which should have for its aim the gratification of the undergraduates' lives for out-of-door sport." Athleties should be managed, as far as games are concerned, to favor the undergraduates. The undergraduate wants "convenience;" he does not want to suffer the least bit of inconvenience in connection with athletic contests. Convenience is his due and "he wont be happy until he gets it."

The second editorial deals with the subject treated in a communication, namely, the lack of proper training, its causes and a practicable remedy. A physician should be hired "to look after the men, both as regards training and injuries."

"His Name Forgotten" is, as far as the plot of the story goes, good. It is interesting, and not prententions. The same cannot be said of the introductory remarks and incidents which lead the narrator to tell his story." The introduction is fully as long as the story itself, and henoe grows wearisome. Moreover the style of the introduction is not at all in harmony with the style of the story; it is heavy, dull, and florid.

The writer of the first communication, instead of putting the old question of "What is the matter with Harvard?" asks, "Is anything the matter with Harvard?" His answer is that Harvard is all right or at least will soon be so. Our present position in athletics is the result of forcing athletics into a position of false importance. The faculty, the alumni and the [students are awakening to this, and the tendency of the faculty is "to bring about that spirit of broad culture in athletics which is characteristic of English university life, where athletics supplement the true purposes and enjoyments of education."

The second communication deals with the lack of proper training, and cites numerous cases in point. A physician should be engaged regularly and not only should he be at hand when the teams are practicing, but the candidates should consult him on their condition at least once a week.

Under "Topics of the Day" "the polished courtliness" of Harvard men is dealt with, and deplored. Another article is on our new dormitory; it is perhaps too extravagant, and has a few unimportant faults. Still, from an architectural standpoint, "Walter Hastings" is almost beyond criticism, "The Skepticism of Miss Eleaner Dean" is perhaps the best thing in this number of the Advocate. It is very amusing, and out of the usual line. The style is correct and flowing and the movement is easy.

"The Tale of Three Wise Men," is a curious little story. It is interesting mostly for its quaint style which is consistently sustained from beginning to end, a subtle vein of humor pervades the whole, and adds a good deal to the tale.

The number ends with the "Advocate's Brief up to January 24.