Criticism of Harvard Night.

"What a great opportunity manque was the Harvard Night of the Irving engagement ! Why in the world couldn't the boys have been boys, and given their natural, happy enthusiasm boyish vent ! What an hour it would have been, if when Terry stood there, a radiant vision, kissing her hand in thanks for their applause, they had from all parts of the house showered her with crimson roses, one flung by every boy-Harvard's own colors, breathing in rose-breath Harvard's good will ! - And where was the grand, concentrated Harvard cheer, that should have spoken farewell? And why did the orchestra crash "Fair Harvard," and the conductor wave an appealing baton to absolutely silent and unresponsive hearts and throats? Those of us who remember Harvard boys when their blood ran crimson and ran swift, did not recognize the genus that in irreproachable claw-hammers and faultless ties patted well-gloved hands together in rythmic applause that night. Harvard boys? Not a bit of it ! Young gentlemen from Dr. Blimber's own academy, taking an evening out, in charge of Miss Cornelia Blimber-that's what they were, and that's all they were."- Dorothy Lundt, in Boston Transcript.