Miss Fletcher's Lecture.

Miss Alice C. Fletcher delivered an address at the Peabody Museum yesterday on "Indian Song in Relation to the Indian's Life and his Mental and Psychical Development." It was one of the series of Anthropological lectures, which have proved so interesting. Miss Fletcher said: The common supposition that Indian music is of a primitive order is altogether wrong. It is so unlike anything else that comparison is impossible. If it were to be classed among the great musical schools it might well be said to belong to the natural school. Indians break into song almost involuntarily and it seems to be their only method of expressing their emotions. An interesting thing in this connection is the fact that very few Indian songs have words. They use merely a few syllables, showing that the tune is the most important and the thing which expresses their meaning. Words are very rarely used.

These songs seem to bring the Indians into close relationship with their gods. They are prayers offered in all sincerity to that unknown power which has favored their crops and brought them success in their hunts.

The songs are all sung in the gravest manner, the songs of thanksgiving differing from those of sorrow only in the syllables used. In time of battle the squaws think that their chants have some telepathic power and that the braves hear them and become more courageous. They have no songs which are sung for amusement alone. They are all serious ones which are sung at their ceremonies, when divine aid is desired or when they are thankful for something. The Indians never have two verses set to one tune. Each song has some particular significance to them and they could not understand two different ideas being sung to the same music.

The Omaha Indians have a very good idea of harmony and most of their music is sung with bass and tenor parts like ours, although many other tribes confine themselves to one part. The songs which are universally the most popular among the Indians are those which refer to fellowship and peace and an end of all contention.