University Alliance.

A central committee has been formed at Geneva, Switzerland to prepare the practical realization of the plan for an International Alliance of Universities of the Old and New World. This plan was conceived some time ago by Professor Charles Richet, of the Paris Faculty of Medicine, who is a well-known writer, and is constantly in touch with the highest exponents of literature, art and science, throughout Europe, many of whom are actively interested in this movement. In several continental institutions committees of students have been formed to carry on this work, under the direction of the central committee, which has been located in Switzerland because that is an essentially neutral center.

In the words of Professor Richet "the alliance will establish between the members of the divers universities, professors or students, a union founded upon relations more frequent and consequently more cordial. It will attenuate the differences in scholarship, by securing a certain equivalence or equality of studies, and level the obstacles which now confine the students within their respective countries. This is so much more necessary since, despite the present facilities of roads and telegraph, universities are now less connected than they were in the thirteenth century, when it took months to travel between the universities of Paris and of Bologna."