The Botanic Garden.

Comparatively few students, other than those who are taking botanical courses at the University, know what a charming display of native and foreign flowers can now be seen at the University Garden. On entering the gate on Garden street, one finds, on the left hand, arranged in a roockery, a choice selection of the plants which were favorites in English gardens in the time of Queene Anne. Just beyond, there is a brilliant mass of "flame" Azaleas and Rhododendrons, with their humbler relatives from the swamps. Further on is a large group of desert plants, fringed under the higher maples and magnolias, with tree ferns and palms from the conservatory. Fronting these are clustered excellent representatives of the flora of the Australasian colonies. If the walk be now continued through the main paths, one comes in succession upon the representative plants of the northern flora of our own country, here and there intermingled with specimens illustrating their foreign relationships. The American Gardan is behind the first range of greenhouses, and attracts a great deal of attention from the luxuriance with which all the specimens are growing. Throughout the garden, all the plants are labelled, even those which are used for decorative purposes being provided with clearly-written labels giving the name and the locality from which the species comes. Altogether the number of species now cultivated in the garden is somewhat over the provisional limit set by the Overseers' Committee on the garden, namely five thousand. More than one-half of all the outdoor species are American. Of course, foreign species are well represented in the beds devoted to economic plants, near the pond, and in the greenhouses. While there is no special endeavor on the part of the management to devote much attention to the strictly decorative features of the garden, the result has been to make the whole of the grounds atractive to the throngs of visitors.