The Princeton Game.

After two innings and a half of clean, sharp playing the Harvard-Princeton game on Saturday was stopped by rain. Neither side had scored. In the third Princeton had been retired in one, two three order. Harvard had Cook on third with two men out. Scannell hit a ball which struck inside the diamond and bounded squarely over third base. Cook came in. The Harvard men were just beginning to cheer when umpire Hartley shouted "foul" and sent Cook back. Then Trenchard broke his finger and time was called. Before play was resumed the rain came down in torrents and the players all got under cover. After waiting the required 30 minutes the umpire called the game off. Wiggin told the Harvard men to leave the field and the whole team hurried over to the little training house in left field where the barges were waiting to carry the players back to the New Haven House. Meanwhile very few of the spectators had found out that the game had been finally given up and as the clouds in the west looked much lighter Captain Mackenzie asked Captain Wiggin if he would go on with the game and he agreed to do so. On the field it was found that Corbett, Cook and Highlands had already gone down town. They were sent for at once by telephone but it was after 5 o'clock before they returned. Wiggin and Mackenzie had meanwhile disagreed about playing the game. The former wished to go on with the game from the point where they had stopped. The latter said that either the third inning must be played over or a new game started. No agreement could be reached and the teams left the field. The spectators were naturally disgusted at the idea of paying their money and seeing no game. There was not however, as has been reported an attempt to destroy the ticket office. The rumor was probably caused by a trick of three small boys, who having collected a vast crowd outside the entrance by calling "rain-checks," satisfied those near them by old playing cards.

Harvard had more supporters at the game than Princeton and the Harvard cheering was much the better. The Yale men present were impartial in applauding plays.

Princeton was first at bat. Payne went out on a grounder to Highlands. King flied out to Whittemore and Ward was the third man out, Winslow to Dickinson.

Harvard had two men on bases in her half of the inning. Whittemore fouled out. Cook got his base on balls. Dickinson struck out but Trenchard dropped the ball. Dickinson was in the way of a throw when he started for first and Cook got to second safely. Dickinson was, however, called out. Then Scannel was hit by a pitched ball and immediately after both he and Cook were advanced a base on Bradley's wild pitch. Wiggin went out on a fly to Mackenzie.

In the second Mackenzie started off with a two-base hit to centre. Otto hit the ball to Cook, who instead of holding Mackenzie on second, threw to first. Dickinson had to step off the bag to reach the ball and as he returned the ball to Cook, Otto was safe. Otto went down on the first ball and having reached second, started back to first as though he thought there had been a foul. Highlands and Dickinson caught him out and Dickinson also threw out Mackenzie who was trying to come in on the play. It was a clever attempt at a sacrifice and came near being successful. Brooks was out. Winslow to Dickinson. For Harvard, Winslow fouled out, O'Malley knocked a fly to Payne, Corbett got his base on balls and Highlands struck out.

Princeton went out in one, two, three order in the third. In Harvard's half, Whittemore fouled out. Cook was hit and reached third on Dickinson's sacrifice. At this point the game was called.