Phillips Brooks Memorial.

Shortly after the death of Phillips Brooks, almost two years ago, a movement was begun to erect a fitting memorial to him at Harvard. Dr. Brooks had been much interested during the later years of his life in the endeavor to erect a building for the religious societies of the University, and so it was thought that such a building would be a most fitting memorial to him.

A committee was appointed, consisting of Dr. Andrew P. Peabody, Professor George H. Palmer, Robert Treat Paine, Edwin H. Abbott, Dr. George A. Gordon and Dr. E. Winchester Donald. The committee made no definite plans, but favored the erection of a building which would be the charitable, humane, hospitable and religious home of the University.

It was thought that such a building should have separate rooms for each of the religious societies, one or more rooms suitable for lectures and addresses, a suite of rooms for the preacher serving his term at the University, a library and reading room, rooms where sick students and those attending them could be accommodated; and a hall where receptions could be held and distinguished visitors of the University entertained.

The committee thought that to erect and maintain such a memorial would require $300,000, of which $150,000 would be expended in the erection of the building and the remainder invested to pay the running expenses of the house. Owing to the hard times, when the committee was appointed, no formal appeal for subscriptions was made. Nevertheless voluntary subscriptions to the amount of $80,000 were received. As the times have been improving very slowly the committee has not yet made its appeal, but will probably make it soon.