Mr. du Chaillu's Lecture.

Mr. Paul du Chaillu gave a most entertaining lecture last evening in Sanders Theatre under the auspices of the Folk Lore Club.

The subject of his lecture, "The Vikings," he was able to discuss from original researches which he has recently been making in Scandinavia. By means of manuscripts and the investigation of almost innumerable graves, he has been able to settle many doubtful points and overthrow false theories.

The early Norsemen, who were first known and mentioned by the Greeks and Romans, have been confused with the Saxons, but it is not at all probable that such a seafaring race as the Saxons must thus have been, could have so completely changed their habits in 300 years, and moreover have left no traces of their previous customs. On the shores of the Baltic Mr. du Chaillu discovered countless graves in which were Roman coins of gold and silver dating back to Augustus and Tiberius, even as late as the Republic, also Greek vases of wonderful work and glass vases which are not equaled by the workmanship of modern times. Graves similar to these he also has found on the Mediterranean coast

There is evidence, in the way of gold and silver decorations, carvings and clothes, of a civilization existing among these people rivalled only by that of Greece or Rome. The introduction of Christianity, which in other parts of the civilized world had such an ennobling effect upon mankind in general, is here marked by the fall of women from her position of the equal of man to that of his slave. She had previously been able to hold property in her own name and when thus held it could not be touched by the husband.

Among the other peculiar features of this people, which Mr. du Chaillu said were established by the evidence of both manuscripts and graves, were the customs in regard to children. When first born the father was called upon to decide whether the child was to live or be exposed. If the child was found to be sufficiently perfect to live he was allowed but a few years under the influence of his mother, being early taught the use of arms; and on becoming of age at fifteen years he was expected to distinguish himself by some gallant deed at the head of his twelve Busuks. When a boy and girl were engaged each had to give a dowry and if the engagement should be broken inside of three years the one breaking the engagement lost the dowries.

Mr. du Chaillu then told shortly the story of the Norseman visitation to America with their huge vessels of sixty-two benches, sometimes four hundred and eighty feet in length.