Influence of College-bred Men.

The Nation publishes under "Notes" some very interesting figures showing the influence of college-bred men on their time. These figures are based on the fifty-three Massachusetts "immortals" whose names have recently been placed on the drum of the dome of the House of Representatives in Boston.

"Of these, Morse, who graduated at Yale, invented the electric telegraph, and Bell the telephone. Dr. Morton discovered ether. Four were historians, and all Harvard graduates - Bancroft, Prescott, Motley, and Parkman. The poets Emerson, Holmes and Lowell were also Harvard graduates; Longfellow and Hawthorne graduated from Bowdoin; Bryant studied at Williams; Whittier did not go to college. Of two painters, J. S. Copley and W. M. Hunt, the latter belonged to Harvard; and of three clergymen, Channing and Brooks graduated at Harvard, and Jonathan Edwards at Yale. Among statesmen are Pickering, John and J. Q. Adams, Dane, Quincy, Everett, and Sumner of Harvard, Choate and Webster of Dartmouth, Andrew of Bowdoin, and Henry Wilson. The law is represented by Parsons, Shaw, Story and Allen, all but the last, whose selection has been criticised, being Harvard alumni. The Revolutionary generals, Knox and Lincoln, did not go to college; the two generals in the Rebellion, Devens and Bartlett, went to Harvard. Of the reformers, Wendell Phillips was Motley's classmate at Harvard, Garrison had no college education, and Horace Mann graduated at Brown. From Brown, too, came Dr. S. G. Howe, instructor of the blind. Bulfinch, the architect, and Peirce, the mathematician, went to Harvard; Agassiz fitted at several Continental universities. Franklin, Bowditch, the navigator, and Putnam, the settler of the Northwest, had no college education. Five of the original colonists - Winthrop, Carver, Endicott, Bradford and Vane - are appropriately remembered; the first studied at Trinity College, Dublin, the last at Oxford.

Thus it appears that out of fifty three men representing the highest attainments in the civic life, the literature, art, and science of Massachusetts, thirtyeight, or 72 per cent, were certainly college bred. Morton, the dentist, and Allen, the judge, must have had the equivalent of a college education in learning their profession. Where Bradford, Carver and Endicott were educated does not appear. Of the thirty-eight, Harvard claims twenty-five, viz., Bancroft, Prescott, Motley, Parkman, Emerson. Holmes, Lowell, Hunt, Channing, Brooks, Pickering. J. and J. Q. Adams, Dane, Quincy, Sumner, Parsons, Shaw, Story, Everett, Phillips, Devens, Bartlett, Peirce, and Bulfinch; Bowdoin has three - Hawthorne, Longfellow, and Andrew; Dartmouth two - Webster and Choate; Yale two - Edwards and Morse; Brown two - Mann and Howe; Oxford, Dublin, and Munich have one each - Vane, Winthrop, and Agassiz, respectively.