Exeter Beaten in a One-Sided Game. Some Long Runs.

The game with Exeter yesterday afternoon resulted in a victory for Harvard by a score of 42 to 0. The Exeter men played a good uphill game, making but few gains By rushing, yet keeping up courage to the last. They played better in the second half than in the first and the best play was in the last part of the game.

Kasson at centre put up a strong game and his guards, Connor and Peyton, kept back a great many of the plays which were directed at them. Scannell played better than Houghton, but in all the other positions Exeter was clearly outmatched. Several of the men were hurt though not seriously. They were Emerson, Hawkins, and N. J. Gibbons.

It was impossible almost to judge of the playing of the Harvard men against a team so much inferior, but it was easy to see that the men did not exert themselves to the utmost. Holt did not do his best, in fact he has not played up to his limit lately. He is very much inclined to shirk.

Jaffray ought to have made holes easily, but he did not seem to be able to do so yesterday. Of the men in the line Gould played perhaps the best game. He was active, got through once in a while, and got into the interference fairly well. Neither Beale nor Hamlen succeeded in getting as much snap into the men as Borden did last Saturday. Hamlen was exceedingly slow in giving his signals and Beale was little better.

Hayes fumbled several times again, a fault that ought to have been corrected long ago. His trying to kick goals was exceedingly poor, though perhaps excusable owing to his lack of practice in this work.

Captain Brewer showed great improvement in kicking goals. He had five chances and accepted every one. His end work was up to its usual high standard, although he did not have any chance for any star plays.

Gonterman made many long runs through his fast running and the interference, which though not very good, was nevertheless too much for the Exeter men to break into.

Davis, who was given a chance behind the line in the second half, did not run very fast but he showed determination to advance the ball as far as he possibly could. One of the amusing incidents of the game was his attempt to get the ball touched down just back of the goal posts after he had crossed the line. He crawled on hands and knees towards the goal posts, much to the amusement of the spectators.

Doucette, who played centre in the second half was very active and by his breaking through made it impossible for the Exeter men to get any interference whatever started.

The first touchdown was made from a run of 60 yards by Gonterman after the ball had been in play but a few minutes.

Gonterman also made the second touchdown after Williams had made a poor attempt to punt.

The third touchdown was made by Hayes after a run of 30 yards behind effective interference. As Captain Brewer kicked all the goals the score was now 18 to 0.

Hayes made a fair catch of Scannell's kick and the ball was immediately put in play. Peyton stopped two centre plays directed at him and then Hayes made an end run of 30 yards. Gonterman made 10 yards on the next play. The play was stopped for a short time on account of the injury to Hawkins, who had to retire. The next play Gonterman again gained and then carried the ball over the line.

It took but three plays to make the fifth and last touchdown in the first half. Hayes fumbled his catch of Scannell's kick, but redeemed himself on the next play by making a run of 30 yards. Then Gonterman made a run of 60 yards around left end. From his touchdown Captain Brewer kicked a goal and the score at the end of the first half was 30 to 0.

In the second half the Harvard lineup was changed with the exception of Haughton, Holt and Hayes. The play was long drawn out. Three touchdowns were made by Davis, but in each case Hayes failed to kick the goal.

The line-up was: