A Long Bicycle Ride.

To the Editors of the Crimson:

When I had fully determined to enter the Harvard Law School, I concluded to make the journey, from my home in Northwest Missouri, on my wheel, thus combining my trip with my summer vacation.

Accordingly, on Aug. 5, I started alone on a 1600 mile ride, following a route through the following places: Burlington, Ia.; Chicago, Ill.; Cleveland, O.; Buffalo and Troy, N. Y.; and North Adams, Mass.

To one who has seen the country between these places only from the window of a passenger coach, and who wishes to acquaint himself with the environments of each locality, no better means is afforded than the bicycle. In the smaller towns they rarely meet a wheelman from more than 250 miles away, consequently they are very free to impart information to one who has ridden farther. Never was I shown more hospitality than when on this novel trip. When I started, I was unused to any kind of physical exercise to speak of, so that I could not ride fast nor long, but that was not my object. After a day or two I began to gain in flesh, and when I arrived in Cambridge, Sept. 9, I had gained 14 pounds.

As a means of education I do not know of a way in which a given amount of money will benefit one more.

For the student after the work of his college year is ended, I can imagine no better way of preparing himself for good work on the following year.

W. B. PISTOLE.