FRESHMAN FOOTBALL TEAM.

Individual Criticism of the Ninety-Nine Players.

The freshman eleven is not far enough along yet to give a fair estimate of its possibilities or failings. The captain has just been appointed and the eleven is not yet even approximately chosen. The material has been remarkably good and even. The men are sturdy, willing and of good weight. The good effect of the interscholastic league is very apparent in the large number of ready trained players that has shown up. Thus far but six men have been taken on to the eleven, and these are by no means sure of their positions.

Adams, the captain, is a strong, hard runner and a good tackler. He knows the game well and will make an invaluable ground gainer.

Fairbanks, at centre, is strong and uses his great weight well. He allows few gains through his part of the line. He is too slow and clumsy and should come down about twenty pounds before he will be really valuable.

Holden at tackle plays a low, hard game and runs well with the ball. There are to many gains past him, however.

Richardson at end plays well, but is too apt to be in the play when the other side has the ball, and out of it when his side has it. In common with the rest of the men he has yet to learn how to block off.

Macomber at half, rushes well and seems to gain ground, but he is apt to slow up and is not sure on the defense, and his interference is faulty.

Dibblee is now playing fullback, he is a good kicker, a quick dodger, interferes well and runs with good speed. He is one of the best tackles on the eleven. He is too light.

For quarterback the candidates are Farley and Thompson. They play about equally well. Dibblee is another candidate for this position.

For guards White and Lloyd are both heavy, strong, and promising, but have much to learn before they can be called good.

There are several other heavy men, Ayer, Wheeler, Catlin and Brown, who may develop into good football players.

For tackles, Kilbourn plays a fair game. Whitbick is expected to do well when he has more experience. Arthur Adams, the captain of the second eleven, is also a candidate for tackle.

For ends, Mains and Johnson are promising. Cochrane is beginning to put up a good game and may make the team. Nourse knows the position and plays it well.

There are several good halfbacks. Dayton is quick to start and runs hard and fast with the ball. Holt plays well; Boardman and Stowell are hard rushers, Porter has some idea of kicking. Blakie has also shown promise of good kicking.

The freshmen hope to play Pennsylvania and Columbia, and should make a good try for the class championship.