Freshman Practice.

Yesterday's practice of the freshman eleven was much more encouraging than that of the day before. Newell and Waters were out dressed to play and did their coaching from the line of the second eleven. The rest of the 'varsity were out and helped.

The make-up of the team was much the same as yesterday. Brewer played back of the line, and showed by his long runs that he was little the worse for Saturday's game. Mannahan played at guard again, but was not as strong as usual. The other centre men improved considerably under the coaching they got, and seemed to have some life. They still are behind the other men in their knowledge of their positions, and must work very hard to overcome their faults, as they may have to take the brunt of the game next Saturday.

As a whole the team played fairly well together, the work of the backs being quite systematic in interference. They must learn to put their man out of the game entirely, and not to trust to a push to do it. Moreover the backs do not take all the chances for holes, several times going directly into the scrimmage when a hole was in plain sight. In defensive work the team is fairly strong in some particulars, especially in stopping push plays. But the line is woefully weak in holding on a kick,- Brewer being stopped a number of times by the men going through-Altogether the team showed a great improvement and if less talking is done, and more attention given to the coaches the eleven may be expected to make a creditable showing on Saturday.