FOOTBALL.

Doucette Plays a Strong Game at Centre. Sharp Practice Yesterday.

The practice of the football men yesterday was not very spirited and showed no improvement over the playing on Saturday. After the usual preliminary practice the first and second elevens were lined up. Jaffray was again at right guard, having as his opponent in the second half Kubli, who was out for the first time.

Doucette was also out again playing centre on the second eleven in the first half. Cozzens played halfback on the first eleven for a time but had to retire. Hayes took his place.

Hamlen had the first chance to play quarterback on the first eleven and his passing and interference work were fully up to that of Beale and Borden.

Waters did the coaching and tried to put some life into the playing, but in vain. Hoague was on the side lines on account of the bruises he received in the Dartmouth game which was also the reason why Stevenson did not play.

The sensation of the afternoon was Captain Brewer's run of thirty yards when he was playing fullback on the second eleven during the second half. Otherwise the playing was slow and only once or twice was there any dash to it.

Wrightington played halfback on the second eleven for a time, but his work was not up to his old standard. C. Brewer is still under weight and will not do much work for the next few days.

It has been definitely announced that Wrenn will not return to the University this year so that the need for a good quarterback is now imperative.

The line-up yesterday was as follows:

FIRST. SECOND.

Cabot, l. e. r. e., Townsend.

Moulton, l. e. r. e., Scull.

Hallowell, l. t. r. t., Connor.

Fuller, l. t. r. t., Fennessy.

Holt, l. g. r. g., Merriman.

Shaw, c. c., Doucette.

c., Hennen.

Jaffray, r. g. l. g., Sargent.

l. g., Kubli.

Gould, r. t. l. t., Bull '96.

l. t., Duff.

Newell, r. e. l. e., Bull '98.

l. e. Pitts.

Hamlen, q. b. q. b., Borden.

Beale, q. b. q. b., Wadsworth.

Weld, Wrightington, h. b., Davis, Knox.

Cozzens, Hayes, h. b., Redpath, Brown.

Dunlop, f. b. f. b. Gierasch.

Fairchild, f. b. f. b., A. Brewer.

f.b., Harrison.