PROFESSOR WHEELER'S LECTURE

Some Athenian Sepulchral Monuments and Epitaphs.

Professor J. R. Wheeler of Columbia College delivered a very interesting lecture before the Classical Club last evening. His subject was "Some Athenian Sepulchral Monuments and Epitaphs." He was happily introduced by Professor Morgan, and spoke as follows:

There are many points of view in which we may study ancient Greek life, but in all we find the moving force to be a spirit of truthfulness to nature. This spirit shines forth not only in her literature, but also in her art, which we find revealed in the sepulchral monuments. Among all that remains to us of ancient origin, there is nothing which brings us so closely in contact with the everyday life of the Greeks as these grave monuments. They also show us the artistic spirit of the ancients, in showing us the ideals of the best masters as established in the popular mind.

A short study shows us that these monuments are divided into two classes. The first class represents people after death, and is typified by archaic reliefs. In the second class, men are represented in life. Tombstones of this kind may still be found at Athens, preserved through the ruin and devastation of centuries.

As early as 600 B. C. there was great funeral display, which Solon and other later rulers tried in vain to check. The earliest form of monument was a simple tablet, which later is found elaborately carved. They usually contain the names of the person to whom the monument is erected, his father, and those who set up the tablet. As the stones become more elaborate we find figures carved in relief. Some of these suggest, though roughly, figures in the frieze of the Parthenon. In the Attic monuments we find the hoplite, the sailor perched on the prow of his vessel, the child at his mother's knee, and other equally lifelike pictures. Most common are the scenes of parting, where two persons are saying goodbye. One of the most interesting represents a hunter with his dog, saying farewell to his wife.

On almost all monuments we find inscriptions of some kind. The public epitaphs, while of great historic value, do not give us glimpses into the life of the people. But the private inscriptions show us clearly the family life of the Greeks. Sometimes the occupation of the person is recorded in the epitaph. Where possible, the happy side of life is touched on. They glory in living to a ripe old age. Only occasionally do we find humorous inscriptions. The Greeks accepted life as they found it, without pessimism, taking everything which happened uncomplainingly.

After the lecture a reception was held in Thayer 44, at which the members of the club had an opportunity of meeting Professor Wheeler.