Literary Notices.

To meet the desires of his publishers (The Messrs. Scribner) Mr. Edwin L. Godkin has made a selection of "Reflections and Comments, 1865-1895" from his editorial articles in the Nation during the last thirty years. They are thirty-three in number, arranged chronologically, and are a distined addition to the writer's contributions to the volume of "Critical and Social Essaye," gathered from the same source in 1867. Political to pics-as in the articles on Horace Greely, the South after the War, "The Short Hairs," and "The Swallow-Tails," Organs, Physicrl Force in Politics, and Role of the Universities in Politics-are not avoided in the present collection; but social, educational, financial, and ethical discussion predominates. Some other titles are: Culture and War, The Comparative Morality of Nations, The Odium Philologicum, Professor Huxley's Lectures, Tyndall and the Theologians, Judges and Witnesses, Mr. Froude as a Lecturer, John Stuart Mill, Carlyle's Political Influence, The Morals and Manners of the Kitchen, The Evolution of the Summer Resort, "The Debtor Class," Panics, etc. The volume is dedicated to Charles Eliot Norton, "to whom the foundation of the Nation was largely due."

Stone and Kimball, Chicago, will place among holiday books "Our Lord's Coming and Childhood-Six Miracle Plays," by Katharine Tynan Wilson, with full page drawings by Patten Wilson.

"The Modern Poster," about to be published by the Scribners, will consist of essays by H. C. Bunner and others, with more than sixty illustrations.

It is announced from London that twenty-five thousand copies of Marie Corelli's last story, "The Sorrows of Satan," have been sold previous to the day of issue. The Lippincotts, who publish the novel on this side, are prepared for a proportionately large demand for this powerful story.

The publication by the J. B. Lippincott Company of Owen Hall's first novel, "The Track of a Storm," has developed the fact that this gifted magazinist has been masquing under a nom de plume. He is an Englishman who has been for many years a traveller in the far east, has been a member of the New Zealand Parliament and a student of the British dominions in the Pacific. Hence the knowledge of these regions shown in his story, which shifts from the England of a generation ago to the penal settlements of the Orient.