A UNIVERSITY CLUB.

The Subject to be Considered by Meeting of Graduates.

The idea of a University Club at Harvard which has been mentioned in the Graduates' Magazine and has been under consideration for some time, has materialized to the extent that a circular has been issued giving in general terms the aims of the proposed club and calling a meeting of graduates to consider the subject.

In tracing the development of Harvard, it has been noticed that in the change from a college to a university a condition has come about in which the majority of the students have no social affiliations. The result is a general feeling of social disintegration. Many small societies have been formed, but they have done little to remedy the difficulty.

Several graduates have conceived the idea that a union, founded on broad and hospitable lines, would serve to bind together the various athletic, social and intellectual interests of the students, and would do for Harvard what the unions at Cambridge and Oxford in England have done for these universities. It is also intended that the proposed club shall afford a meeting place for graduates who visit Cambridge.

The graduates who have expressed themselves favorable to such a plan are so considerable in number that the originators have felt themselves warranted in calling a meeting at which the scheme may be generally discussed. This meeting is to be held at the University Club. No. 270 Beacon street, next Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock, when it will be determined what steps, if any, shall be taken.

Attached to the circular letter calling the meeting are these names:

Charles F. Adams, William E. Russell, Charles C. Jackson, William Lawrence, William A. Bancroft, Augustus Hemenway, Henry L. Higginson, C. P. Curtis, Jr., William H. Thayer.