Christian Association Meeting.

Last evening in Holden Chapel the Christian Association held its first meeting of the year for the purpose of welcoming new members. Short addresses were made by Professor Palmer, Professor de Sumichrast, Professor Peabody, and Professor Carpenter of Oxford University. During the evening a solo was sung by D. C. Greene '95.

Professor Palmer spoke of the distinctive position held by the society in the University. It served the purpose of a church to the student, he said, and was the embodiment of aspiration. There a man lost all sense of self and turned his thoughts to the life to come. The chief purpose of the association was to afford a man an opportunity of continuing his early home training in religion, and to increase daily his knowledge and love of God. The society did not stand for stagnation, but for perpetual learning.

Professor Peabody spoke of the men that the society most needed, men who were temperate, studious and strong in character, Christian men who would lead the way in religion. He showed the possibilities and opportunities such men would have for doing an immense amount of good in the life of so great a University.

Professor de Sumichrast in a few words spoke of the necessity and value of the feeling of brotherhood both between faculty and students and among the students themselves. There was a strong desire on the part of the faculty, he said, to come into closer relations with the student body, to be friendly and helpful to them. As a pupil was of no use without a teacher, so the teacher was of no use without a pupil. The relation between them must be cordial. Among the students a great deal of good could be done by a man without his being conscious of it. The kindly word, the helpful act towards one less fortunately placed would often strengthen him, and save him from a terrible temptation.

Professor Carpenter spoke of the difference between England and America in the fellowship of their churches. At Oxford he was not allowed to address the Y. M. C. A. because he was a Unitarian. He urged the members to cherish and love this fellowship between churches of all denominations, which he had noticed as so remarkable at Harvard.