Dean Hodges's Address.

Dean Hodges addressed the St. Paul's Society last evening upon the Church Social Union. The American Church Social Union, he said, is the child of the English Christian Social Union which was started at Oxford in 1890 by Professor Westcott, now Bishop of Durham, Scott Holland, Canon of Saint Paul's Cathedral, Charles Gore, and M. A. Carter of Pusey House, Oxford. The English Union now has a membership of 5000, mostly in the universities.

The present organization in America was started in 1891, under the direction of Bishop Huntington, Bishop Potter, and other prominent churchmen. Its purpose is to awaken the minds of all Christians, beginning with the members of the Episcopal Church, to the social problems of the present day and to the fact that their solution is to be found in the earnest study of present conditions viewed in the light of Christ's teaching. In the problems which confront the student the members of the Union are bound to no principles but those of the Christian law. They are exhorted to study and investigate. To aid in this work, the Union publishes bimonthly monographs from prominent authorities treating the religious and economic phases of the social questions, recommending courses of reading and study. No problems of the present are more pressing than these. The great word of today is "Society." The Church, recognizing this, calls upon her men, particularly the young men of the universities, to form upon these most difficult questions a wide and comprehensive judgment.