A UNIVERSITY CLUB.

An Enthusiastic Meeting of Graduates Held to Discuss Plans.

A meeting of graduates was held last evening at the University Club in Boston to discuss the question of forming a University Club at Harvard.

Various plans for the formation of such a club were brought up and thoroughly talked over. Speeches were made by President Eliot, Mr. Charles Francis Adams, Mr. William R. Thayer, Bishop Lawrence, Professor I. N. Hollis, Professor A. B. Hart and Mr. Thatcher.

Mr. Parkman presided over the meeting and Mr. Thayer was appointed secretary.

Mr. Thayer was the first speaker. He explained at some length the purposes of the proposed club. He told how the meeting was the outcome of an article which appeared in the Graduates' Magazine last June.

President Eliot expressed himself in favor of the proposed club. He said that the chief difficulty would arise from the question of money. He said that $100,000 would doubtless be necessary for the building alone. He thought that $15,000 a year would be hardly sufficient for the expenses of the club. If each man were to be assessed $10 a year membership fee, as proposed, it would take 1500 members to make up this sum.

The other speakers of the evening all expressed themselves as heartily in favor of the scheme.

The plan proposed by Mr. Thayer was to have a large club house built near the College Yard, which should be easily accessible to the students. The club house should be large enough to accommodate some fifteen hundred men. In the house there should be dinning rooms, reading and writing rooms, billiard tables, smoking rooms, and sleeping rooms. In fact the house should be arranged like that of any big social club.

A committee was appointed to investigate the subject and report upon it at a meeting to be held later in the year.

The committee consisted of the following gentlemen: Messrs. Charles Francis Adams, W. R. Thayer, J. E. Warner, T. C. Thatcher, and W. Endicott 3d.