Death of Judge Hoar.

Last night at about eight o'clock, Judge Ebenezer Rockwood Hoar died of heart failure at his home in Concord, Mass., at the age of 78 years and 11 months. He had been seriously ill for some seven weeks, but his uncommonly strong constitution kept him alive longer than was expected. Since Wednesday noon he had been unconscious, but yesterday afternoon he re-gained consciousness for a short time. There were four members of his family present at his death.

Judge Hoar was born in Concord, Mass., on Feb. 4, 1816. At the age of fifteen he entered Harvard, receiving the degree of A. B. in 1835. From the college he went to the Law School, where four years later he took the degree of LL. B. In 1840 he was admitted to the bar of Massachusetts and began the active practice of law. He rose rapidly in his profession and in 1859 was appointed a justice of the Supreme Court of Massachusetts. The degree of LL.D. was afterwards twice awarded him, - first by Williams in 1861 and again by Harvard seven years later.

In the capacity of Attorney General of the United States, Judge Hoar served on President Grant's Cabinet in the year 1869-70, and the following year he was a member of the Joint High Commission which negotiated the treaty of Washington with Great Britain. Two years later he served one term as a member of Congress.

This gives but the slightest summary of the important official positions which Judge Hoar has held. His reputation has been wide-spread and the whole country has been awaiting with anxious interest the outcome of his illness. He leaves a family of three sons and two daughters, of whom the sons have attained considerable prominence in the law. The eldest, Samuel Hoar, is a Fellow of the Corporation of Harvard, which position his father had held as well. Judge Hoar had also been a member of the Board of Overseers. His connection with Harvard as a graduate from both College and Law School, and his later connection through the governing boards, will be matter of great pride to the University.