Research in Eastern Libraries.

Professor J. Rendel Harris, lecturer on Paleography in the University of Cambridge, spoke in Divinity Chapel last night on the "Methods of Research in Eastern Libraries." During the past twelve years Professor Harris has made explorations chiefly in Eastern Syria, Northern Africa, and Bulgaria for lost manuscripts, and has added many valuable works to the library of Haverford College.

The preparations necessary for successful research are, a reasonable amount of money, good manners, a knowledge of modern Greek and an idea of the Eastern countries. In these countries the monks of the Greek Church are, contrary to common report, bright and intelligent, and know much about the manuscripts in their charge.

The facilities for studying the manuscripts in the libraries of Jerusalem, Cairo, Mt. Athos, and Constantinople are very good. The libraries contain printed catalogues of the old manuscripts in them and the custodians allow explorers free access to the manuscripts. In addition to this the books are properly housed. So it is seen that the facilities for research in the East are fully as good as in the West; there are only three of the collections at Cambridge, England, which are properly catalogued and most of the manuscripts in America are so little known as to be of little use.