The University of Pennsylvania Under Dr. Pepper.

Dr. William Pepper, ex-Provost of the University of Pennsylvania, who resigned last June, has issued his biannual report, covering the period between October, 1892, and June, 1894. In it Dr. Pepper makes a comparison between the University as it was when he became provost in 1881 and at the time of his resignation. In 1881 the University owned 15 acres, there were 981 students, and the fees received from them amounted to $92,701; in 1894 the acreage of the university was 54, the number of students 2180, and the fees $230,567. During his provostship were added the Wharton School of Finance and Economy, the Veterinary School and Hospital, the Graduate Department, the Women's Department, the Departments of Archaeology and Physical Education, and the laboratories of Hygiene, Chemistry and Anatomy. During this time, also, the Archaeological Association and the American Society for the Extension of University Teaching were instituted. Nearly all of Benjamin Franklin's plans, Dr. Pepper says, have been fulfilled.