Dean Hodges' Address.

Dean Hodges made a short address at a public meeting of the St. Paul's Society last night. He spoke on the institution of Ash Wednesday and on the proper manner of observing Lent. He pointed out that Ash Wednesday was the beginning of Lent but that there was no end. The words forty days merely stood for an indefinite number. The observation of Lent was like the climbing of a ladder, one always reaches to a fresh rung and leaves the old one behind. Each succeeding Ash Wednesday is the fresh rung in the ladder.

Lenten Season is the period for the formation of habit. One should make a definite resolution and follow it day after day unceasingly. Dean Hodges suggested that each man resolve to go to chapel each morning. Even if he did not feel any benefit from the service himself he was aiding others who needed the services by his presence, for it is a trait of human nature that a crowd always draws more to itself. He said the services should not be viewed with any sectarian idea. They were the family prayers of the college and sectarianism had not yet made its way into them.