New York, 9; Brown, 7.

[N. E. Associated Press.]

NEW YORK, April 11. - The ball team of Brown University made a strong bid this afternoon for the Freedman cup, and although they failed to equal Yale's record, yet they played a game that was good to look upon. Brown has an excellent pitcher in White, who held New York down to 11 hits. White was well supported behind the bat by Dunn, the champion hand-ball player of Brooklyn.

Brown's outfield did superb work and the only weak spot was at second. Donaldson, the regular second baseman, was on the sick list, and Summersgill made a poor showing at it.

Manager. Davis put in Knauss, Clarke and German to pitch, and had Brown eclipsed Yale's record, the New Haven boys would have had reason to protest, on the ground that Meekin and Rosie were not used. However, the question will not arise, as Brown made but six hits, while Yale scored eleven, outbatting the New Yorks.

Brown started the game with a rush. Louder opened with a three-bagger and Bustard got a force hit on which Louder scored. Lowney's double drove Bustard home.

After that Knauss settled down, and in the third inning retired the side on three pitched balls. In the eighth a couple of hits off German and errors by Stafford and Doyle yielded three runs.

Score by innings:

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

New York, 3 2 0 0 1 1 2 0 -9

Brown, 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 3 0-7

Hits - New York 11, Brown 6. Errors - New York 6, Brown 7.