Dr. Sargent's New Game.

Yesterday afternoon Dr. Sargent's new game was played for the first time in the Gymnasium. The game has not yet been named; it is very much like basket-ball except that more men can play, and the opening through which the ball must be put is perpendicular instead of horizontal. This gives a chance for defensive work which basket-ball does not give.

The game was played on the main floor of the Gymnasium, twenty-four men taking part, twelve on each side. To distinguish one another the men on one side wore blue handkerchiefs on their heads while the men on the other side wore red handkerchiefs. As in lacrosse, every man on one side must cover his man on the opposite side. There is an excellent chance for team work. The game combines in itself the main features of basket-ball with the good parts of lacrosse and football.

The game yesterday afternoon was very interesting and resulted in a score of eight for the "reds" and seven for "blues."

The men who played the new game yesterday were about the same men who have been playing pass-ball during the winter. The game of pass-ball which has been going on every afternoon since the Christmas vacation ended yesterday afternoon with a score of 166 to 164 in favor of the East side. The game was a tie when the play began last night.