"PROSERPINA."

The Hasty Pudding Play Successfully Given in New York.

On Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and on Saturday afternoon of last week, "Proserpina," the operetta of the Hasty Pudding Club, was presented in New York on the stage of St. James's Hall. At each of these performances the theatre was crowded, and the audience was enthusiastic.

The patronesses were: Mrs. Francis C. Barlow, Mrs. Calvin S. Brice, Mrs. H. Mortimer Brooks, Mrs. Joseph H. Choate, Mrs. James C. Cooley, Mrs. Winthrop Cowdin, Mrs. Fellows Davis, Mrs. Alexander Duer Irving, Mrs. Leonard Jacob, Mrs. Adolph Ladenburg, Mrs. J. Pierpont Morgan, Mrs. J. Hampden Robb, Mrs. Philip Sands, Mrs. William H. Taller, Mrs. T. M. Waterbury, Mrs. Jacob Wendell.

"Proserpina" well maintained the high standard of the club, and showed itself worthy of taking its place with "Hamlet," "The Sphinx" and "Granada." The plot of the operetta has already been given at length in the CRIMSON, and needs no further mention beyond the statement that its originality and humor greatly amused and entertained the audience. The music was as usual light and pretty, and the libretto was cleverly written throughout, often being exceedingly witty. The whole play was well staged, the scenery being elaborate and the costumes bright and varied.

Performances of "Proserpina" will be given in Copley Hall, Boston this evening and on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Thursday night the play will be given at the clubhouse in Cambridge for past and present members of the club. Public performances will be given at the club house on Friday and Saturday evenings.