Football Practice.

Yesterday's play brought out several changes in the makeups of the first and second elevens. Manahan was tried at tackle on the first, and Clarke, Beals and Wrightington, who did so well the day before, were all again given a chance behind the line. Gray and Corbett were played on the second, and Gould was placed at left tackle, Foster going to quarterback. The playing served as an object lesson in showing the importance of good interference. Gray and Corbett were never conspicuous, while Clarke, Dunlop, and Beale, who had the advantage of the superior team work of the first eleven, all made telling gains.

Clarke showed the proper spirit in following his interference and in fighting it out to the last every time he was tackled. Waters bucked the centre a good deal, and generally with success. Manahan, at tackle, played with a great deal of dash. He is evidently better fitted for the place than for guard. A. Brewer, at left end, followed the ball well, and had no difficulty in getting through what interference there was on the second eleven. Stevenson seems to begin to show the effect of hard work. Whittren played with his usual snap and earnestness, but showed a dangerous tendency to get off side. Mackie and Acton both played well. If the latter continues to improve there should be no danger of a weak centre. Fairchild and Foster did about equally well in passing and tackling, but the former was clearly superior in interfering, in which he has, of course, had greater experience.

Two 30 minute halves were played. In the first, the first eleven scored three times, once on a long run by Dunlop and centre plays, and the other times through Clarke's around-the-end plays, and Waters's dives through the centre. The second scored once, when Collamore secured the ball on Dunlop's fumble, and ran the length of the field. The interference was rather weak in this half, but the defensive work was excellent. In the second half there was decided improvement. The men seemed thoroughly awake and Beale and Wrightington made long gains, aided by fine interference. Three more touchdowns were made, from all of which Fairchild kicked goals. The final score was 30 to 6. The men lined up in these positions:

FIRST ELEVEN. SECOND ELEVEN.

A. Brewer, left end, Collamore.

Manahan, left tackle, Gould.

Acton, left guard, Parker.

Lewis, centre, Grant.

Winslow, centre, Grant.

Mackie, right guard, Laimbeer.

Connor, right tackle, Johnson.

Stevenson, right end, Whittren.

Fairchild, quarterback, Foster.

Dunlop, halfback, Lovering.

Clarke, halfback, Gray.

(Beals,) halfback, (Gleason.)

(Wrightington) halfback, (Clarke.)

Waters, fullback, Corbett.