University Prizes.

The amount of the prizes awarded annually by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences is $2,245.00. The competition for the Bowdoin prizes which amount to $900.00 closed last November and its prizes have already been awarded.

The competition for the Dante prize of $100 closes May 1st; any member of the University and graduates of not more than three years' standing may compete for the prize. The subjects for this year's competition are given in the catalogue.

The Sargeant prize for the best metrical version of the sixteenth Epode of Horace amounts to $100.00. Undergraduates of Harvard College and of Radcliffe College may compete for the prize. The versions must be deposited in the office of the Dean of Harvard College before May 1st.

Competition for the George B. Sohier prize of $250.00 is open to undergraduates in Harvard College, Harvard graduates in the Graduate School, or students in Radcliffe College. The prize is given for the best thesis presented by a candidate for Honors in English or in Modern Literature.

The Paine prizes, two of $100 each, are given for the best essays of any students of the University on the ethical aspect of the modern social questions. The essays must be deposited at the Secretary's office on or before May 1st.

The Tappan prize of $150.00 is offered for the best essay on a subject in Political Science. All students of the Graduate School or of any of the Professional Schools who have received an academic degree, and all graduates of the College, of not more than three years' standing can compete for this prize. The subjects are given in the catalogue. Essays must be deposited at the Secretary's office before May 1st.

The Sumner prize of $100 is given for the best dissertation by a student of the University on a subject connected with universal peace and the methods by which war may be permanently superseded. The subjects for this year's competition will be found in the catalogue. Dissertations must be deposited with the secretary before May 1st.

The Sales prize of $45 is offered to the best scholar in Spanish who shall have commenced the study of this language at Harvard College. Notice of intention to compete for this prize must be sent to the Dean of Harvard College before May 1st.

The Bennett prize of $40 is offered for the best essay in English prose on some subject of American governmental domestic or foreign policy of contemporaneous interest. The prize is open to members of the senior class and to special students in the third or fourth year who have taken courses in political science and English literature. The subjects for this year and for next year will be found in the catalogue. Essays must be left with the secretary before May 1st.

In addition to the foregoing prizes there are five Boylston prizes for elocution, of which a notice appears elsewhere.