Columbia Athletic Notes.

As yet the place for the Columbia-Cornell-Pennsylvania boat race has not been decided upon.

The Columbia 'varsity crew rows on the Harlem every afternoon. Coach Peet supervises the men from a six-oared barge rowed by the substitutes. He is directing most of his attention to blade work and to a quick start on the recover. Pierrepont has not been stroking well of late, so Mr. Peet is trying Carter in that position, who is doing excellent work for his weight. The crew goes to the boathouse direct from college, and after practice has a run to quarters. They are under strict discipline while at the villa. A bath and a good rub-down follow their return from practice. They are allowed about half an hour to dress for dinner, which is ready at 8 o'clock.

After a period of study the crew goes through a series of breathing motions, which are deemed very essential by the coach. At 10 o'clock sharp all lights are out and the crew in bed. Another series of breathings are gone through before breakfast the next morning, which is served at 8. The crew rowed as follows last week: Bow, Norton; 2, Longacre; 3, MacGregor; 4, Hobdy; 5, Fish; 6, Pierrepont, Carter; 7, Prentice; stroke, Carter, Pierrepont.

The freshman crew will take supper at the quarters as soon as proper arrangements can be made by Manager Sill. The Rowing Committee expects to give them rooms on the ground floor of Macy Villa in about three weeks.

Owing to the efforts of the Baseball Association, the freshmen have decided to put a nine in the field this spring. A committee has been canvassing the class, and considerable money has been already obtained. Choate and Fishel, who are trying for the 'varsity team, are members of the class in the School of Arts. When not needed by the 'varsity they will pitch for the freshmen. The following students are candidates for the team: Ware, Gunsel, Stern, O'Connor, Demarest, Edwards, McLean, Merriam, Symmes, Pomeroy, Watson, Hudson, and McGuire. Considerable influence has recently been brought to bear upon the Baseball Association, with the result that the association has practically decided to join the Columbia College Athletic Union. The union will rescind the obnoxious clause in its constitution that no person shall be allowed to represent Columbia in any branch of athletics unless he is a member of the union. The association will be given an equal representation with rowing and track athletics. As soon as the association becomes a part of the union a series of inter-class games will be arranged.

The track athletic team will go into quarters at the mansion on the grounds at William's Bridge on May 1. The mansion will be furnished and put into condition early next month. As there are but ten rooms it will be impossible to find accommodations for more than twenty men.