BEATEN IN THE FIFTH.

Harvard Plays a fairly Strong Game but Princeton Wins 7 to 2.

Princeton defeated Harvard on Saturday in the first game of the series between the two colleges. In spite of the one-sided score the game was hotly contested throughout, and the excitement lasted until the end. Harvard put up a much better game than had been expected, fielding well and making only one hit less than Princeton. None of their four errors were inexcusable and they had little effect upon the result of the game. Where the team was weak was in their inability to bunch their hits when they would have counted for runs. It was here that Princeton won the game, for six of their eight hits were made in the fifth inning, and aided by a sacrifice and a man hit by pitched ball six runs were scored. Often with men on bases the Harvard players were unable to make the necessary hit to bring them in. Except for the fatal fifth inning Highlands pitched a remarkably fine game. In three innings the Princeton men went out in one, two, three order, and only 16 batters faced him in the remaining four. Whittemore led in fielding, making several brilliant stops of difficult grounders.

It had been expected that Princeton would put Altman or Bradley in the box, but the latter had a lame arm and for some reason it was decided to have Wilson pitch. He has not been considered a very strong player, but on Saturday he proved very effective, allowing only seven hits which were all well scattered, and striking out eight men. His support was good, but in team play the home nine was inferior to Harvard.

The game began at 3 o'clock with Rand at the bat, but a moment later a shower sprang up which caused a delay of ten minutes, but lessened the intense heat.

When the rain was over Rand knocked an easy fly which Brooks captured. Whittemore was sent to first on balls, stole second, and reached third on Hayes' sacrifice. Scannell failed to bring in the run and flied out to Easton. Princeton succeeded in making one run. Payne was given a base on balls, and started to steal second. Scannell threw wild and Payne kept on to third, and crossed the on Stevenson's overthrow after he had put out Ward who had hit to Whittemore.

Until the fourth inning the game proceeded without any noticeable incidents, but this time Harvard had a fine chance to score. Whittemore for the second time was given a base on balls and stole second. Hayes sacrificed and advanced him to third. Scannell reached first on an error by Otto and stole second, but with two men on bases Wrenn struck out and Burgess hit a sharp grounder which Ward handled successfully.

Princeton went out in order till the fifth when Wilson opened the inning with a line hit which Rand fumbled, allowing Wilson to make second. Gunster was hit by a pitched ball and Brooks bunted safely. Easton and Payne followed with hits, but Brooks was put out as he over ran second. Ward singled and Bradley sacrificed and both Trenchard and Otto made two baggers. Wilson struck out, but six runs had already been scored. For Harvard Whittemore hit for two bases but was left on second.

In the sixth with one out Burgess made a hit, stole second and took third on a passed ball. Adams, however, knocked a liner to Brooks and Burgess was fielded out as he tried to score on the hit.

For the rest of the game Princeton could do but little at the bat. Harvard was more fortunate and scored runs in both the eighth and ninth. Rand got as far as third on his single, a stolen base and a wild pitch and came in on an error.

In the ninth with one man out Burgess made a hit and was advanced by a wild pitch and a sacrifice by Adams. Stevenson's second hit brought him in, but Highlands ended the game by striking out. The score:

PRINCETON.

R. B. P. O. A. E.

Payne, l.f. 2 1 4 0 1

Ward, 2b. 1 1 1 6 1

Bradley, r.f. 0 0 1 0 0

Trenchard, c. 1 1 5 2 0

Williams, c. 0 0 4 1 0

Otto, 1b. 0 1 8 1 1

Wilson, p. 1 1 2 2 0

Gunster, 3b. 1 1 0 0 0

Bsooks, s.s. 0 1 1 2 1

Easton, c.f. 1 1 1 0 0

- - - - -

Totals, 7 8 27 14 4

HARVARD.

R. B. P. O. A. E.

Rand, l.f. 1 1 2 0 1

Whittemore, s.s. 0 1 1 5 0

Hayes, r.f. 0 1 0 0 0

Scannell, c. 0 0 5 1 1

Wrenn, 2b. 0 0 3 2 0

Burgess, c.f. 1 2 1 1 1

Adams, 3b. 0 0 2 1 0

Stevenson, 1b. 0 2 9 0 0

Highlands, p. 0 0 1 1 0

- - - - -

Totals, 2 7 24 11 3

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Princeton, 1 0 0 0 6 0 0 0 - 7

Harvard, 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 - 2

Earned runs - Princeton 5, Harvard 1. Two-base hits - Trenchard, Otto, Whittemore. Sacrifice hit - Brooks. Stolen bases - Payne, Bradley, Scannell, Rand, Burgess, Whittemore 2. Hit by pitched ball - Gunster. Passed ball. - Williams. Wild pitch - Wilson. Struck out - Williams, Brooks, Highlands 3, Scannell, Wrenn, Burgess, Adams 2. Double play - Trenchard and Ward. Time 1h. 45m. Umpire - Adams.