Princeton's Nine.

Philip King writes as follows in Harper's Weekly on the outlook of the Princeton baseball team for this season:

"Princeton's chances for a good team this year are bright, providing it rids itself of the erratic playing indulged in for the last few games. Some of the old men realize what is expected of them, and are working like veritable Trojans, while the others are ambling along in a slipshod manner. The championship season will soon be upon them, and unless there is a decided stirring up, Princeton will find herself at the bottom of the heap. It is true the season has been a late one, and the frequent changing around of the men has kept matters in an undecided condition, yet these facts should not excuse the carelessness exhibited, which almost approaches indifference.

Behind the bat, Williams, Trenchard and Titus are the candidates, with the odds in favor of Williams; but should Trenchard's arm, which was injured two years ago, grow stronger, it will be a nip and tuck race. Both men are in poor form and show a woful lack of snap; they need to bestir themselves in order to compare favorably with the other college catchers. In the pitching department there is a wealth of material. Bradley, providing his arm holds out, will do most of the pitching in the championship games. Altman will be called in should Bradley's arm fail him. Next on the list would be Easton, a left-handed twirler; he is a freshman and great things are expected of him before graduation. The other candidates are Wilson, Hitzrot and Joul.

At first base Otto has been behind his last year's form, his fielding and batting being very streaky. Cochran, the football player, is the substitute for this position. After a great deal of experimenting Dougal Ward has been brought in from the out-field and placed on second base. This is an excellent move on Captain Brook's part; for Ward, though not a speedy man, is at all times perfectly cool and collected, which will help materially in steadying the infield.

It has been impossible to get much of a line on Captain Brook's playing at short, but in the few games he has played his fielding has been gilt-edged, showing himself to be one of the coming short stops of the season. In hitting he is not quite up to last year's showing. Naturally this is due to the cares of the captaincy. As the season progresses and matters become more settled we will find him playing his same steady game. Gunster at third, like Otto, has been exceedingly uncertain, both in his fielding and batting. The general substitute for the in-field will probably be P. Ward.

In the out-field Princeton will be strong. Payne will give a good account of himself, and fill creditably the large hole left vacant by Mackenzie, captain of last year's nine. I think Payne's playing will be the best seen on any of the college teams this season. He is batting, fielding and running the bases in excellent shape. Easton will occupy centre-field when not in the box. His good batting has earned him this position. In right-field Altman and Bradley will alternate with Small as out-field substitute. Bradley is also putting up very speedy ball, and, like Payne, will be one of the stars of the season. In the box and at the bat he will give the famous Carter of Yale a close call for first honors.

The general work of the team can be made superior to last year's if the old men will only waken from their lethargy, put their shoulders to the wheel, and work for all that is in them.