BARELY WON.

Colgate Defeated in an Eleven Inning Game. Score, 10 to 9.

It was hard to see in the playing of the Harvard nine yesterday anything that resembled 'varsity form. To be held in check for eleven innings by a poor team from a small college is, to say the least, not very encouraging. The nine played without any life whatsoever. They soon succeeded in getting ahead of Colgate and then thinking the game was won went to sleep with the result that Colgate tied the score in the seventh inning and almost won in the ninth.

Paine pitched for five innings and then Highlands came into the box. In all the visitors made eleven hits with a total of seventeen. Harvard's record was eight with a total of twelve. F. Munro was very wild at times, but Harvard failed to hit him very hard. In the field Harvard did not have many chances. Wrenn let an easy grounder go by him and thus made his second error of the season. Winslow, who was back at third, was still somewhat hampered by his finger but the error he made was inexcusable. For Colgate, P. Munro at catch played by far the best game of the day. He caught his brother's wild pitching remarkably well, and his throwing to second was very accurate. F. Munro's batting was one of the features of the game. Colgate came to the bat first and scored twice in the first inning. With one man out Newland knocked an easy grounder which went through Wrenn. F. Munro came to the bat, made a beautiful hit to left field which Rand tried to get but fell, and two runs came in. The next two men went out at first. For Harvard, Winslow flied out to short, Rand got his base on balls and stole second. Whittemore hit to the centre fielder, who made an error, allowing Rand to score, while Whittemore went to second. Burgess's sacrifice brought Whittemore to third. Wrenn struck out.

In the second Paine struck two men out and caught Applegate's high foul retiring the side in short order.

Scannell then came to the bat and struck out. Munro missed Stevenson's third strike and the latter stole second and scored on Adams's single. Adams went to second on a passed ball. Paine reached first on a fumble by shortstop while Adams went to third. Winslow struck out. Rand hit to second who missed the ball and Adams and Paine both scored. Whittemore made the third out.

Neither side scored in the third though Scannell got as far as third base.

In the fourth two bases on balls, a wild pitch, a passed ball, and a single brought in two runs for Colgate. In the same inning a base on balls, timely hits by Winslow, Rand and Burgess and an error by shortstop of Whittemore's hot drive brought in four more runs for Harvard.

Colgate scored twice in the fifth owing to two hits, a passed ball and a couple of errors by Paine. In the same inning Harvard made one run which was her last till the eleventh inning. Paine was hit by the ball and stole second. Whittemore's single to right field brought him home.

Colgate made one run in the sixth and two more in the seventh, due principally to timely hits, and the score was tied.

In the eighth Whittemore reached third on a couple of errors and Burgess's sacrifice, but he was left there.

In the ninth Newland opened the inning with a three base hit but Highlands struck two men out and the third fouled out to Scannell.

Poor base running lost Harvard a chance to score. With one out Highlands hit a two bagger. Rand hit to second who threw him out at first. Highlands tried to come home on the play but was thrown out.

In the tenth Whittemore got to third again with none out but was left there.

In the eleventh Newland got as far as third with one out but the next two men went out.

Harvard made her winning run in this inning. Stevenson got as far as third base on his hit. Adams was hit by the ball and went to first. Highlands was thrown out at first and Stevenson started for home on the play, Smith was slow in fielding the ball home and Stevenson scored. The score:

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Winslow, 3b. 5 1 1 0 1 1

Band, l.f. 5 2 1 3 0 0

Whittemore, s.s. 6 1 1 2 2 0

Burgess, c.f. 4 0 1 2 0 0

Wrenn, 2b. 4 0 0 1 1 1

Scannell, c. 6 0 1 16 1 0

Stevenson, 1b. 4 2 1 8 2 0

Adams, rf. 5 1 1 0 0 0

Paine, p. 1 3 0 1 4 2

Highlands, p. 3 0 1 0 0 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 43 10 8 33 11 4

COLGATE.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Briggs, c.f. 5 0 0 2 0 1

Newland, 2b. 6 2 2 1 8 1

F. Munro, p. 5 3 2 1 2 0

P. Munro, c. 5 2 2 10 1 1

Shelden, s.s. 6 0 0 2 1 2

Applegate, 3b. 5 1 3 1 3 2

Hudson, r.f. 5 0 0 1 0 0

Wood, l.f. 4 0 1 0 0 1

Smith, 1b. 5 1 1 13 1 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 46 9 11 31 16 8

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Harvard, 1 3 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 0-10

Colgate, 2 0 0 2 2 1 2 0 0 0 0-9

Earned runs - Harvard, Colgate 3. Two-base hits - Scannell, F. Munro, Highlands. Three-base hits - Stevenson, Newland. Home run - F. Munro. Sacrifice hits - Burgess 2. Stolen bases - Winslow, Rand, Whittemore, Wrenn, Scannell 2, Stevenson 3, Paine 2, P. Munro. First base on balls - Winslow, Rand, Wrenn 2, Stevenson 2, Paine, Briggs, F. Munro, P. Munro, Wood. Struck out - Applegate, Burgess, Wrenn 3, Hudson 2, Wood 3, Scannell, Stevenson, Winslow 2, Briggs, Shelden 3, F. Munro 2, Smith. Double plays - Newland, Smith, P. Munro. Passed balls - P. Munro 2, Scannell 2. Wild pitches - Paine, Highlands. Hit by pitched ball - Paine, Adams. Time - 2h. 20m. Umpire - J. Highlands.