The U. of P. Crew.

The financial cloud which threatened to envelop the rowing prospects of the University of Pennsylvania has cleared away. The lack of funds in the treasury of the Athletic Association rendered it necessary to make a special appeal to the students and alumni. The sum of $1500 was needed to carry the crew through the season, and although the full sum has not yet been subscribed, assurances have been received from the alumni that they will guarantee the necessary amount to keep the crew on the water. The loss of the eight to Pennsylvania would have been a severe blow to athletics there. For the first time in many years the crew is in the main composed of tried and experienced men, and the prospects for a successful season were never brighter than at present.

The annual race with the Naval Cadets at Annapolis will be rowed today. Immediately after the race a special car will be provided for them which will run through to Poughkeepsie, where the crew will prepare for the triangular race, which takes place on June 21. This will give the men three full weeks in which to familiarize themselves with the course.

The crew are having a new paper shell made for them by Waters, who will deliver it to them at Poughkeepsie on the day the eight arrives. They will, however, keep their present shell for practice.

The recent spell of fine weather has enabled the regular eight to engage in practice on the Schuylkill, where their work is giving much satisfaction to Coach Woodruff and Captain Bull. The men are getting accustomed to their positions and are pulling with much regularity and steadiness. Peterson, who was a substitute last year, will pull bow this year. Jack, who is the only really new man in the boat, has surprised the coaches by the clever way he handles the oar. Minds, at No. 3, was also a substitute last year, but has shown improved form this season, and has earned his place by conscientious work. All the other men filled positions on the crew last year and show the value of their training. They are looking forward very anxiously to June 21, when they expect to win the race with Cornell and Columbia.