Literary Study of the Classics.

As the result of conferences held during the past year, a club has been formed to promote the literary study of Greek and Latin. Those who wish to emphasize the literary rather than the scientific side of the classics will find large resources already in the University. To use and increase these is the purpose of the new club. The members will be partly tutors and partly students. A graduate of any college is eligible as tutor, whether a member of the Faculty or not. Any undergraduate of Harvard, who is taking at least one classical course extending through the year, is eligible as a student for that year.

The methods will be as follows: First, every student will meet a tutor once a week for an hour alone, and report the work of the previous week, or some special thought which has been suggested by it. The discussion following ought to send him back to his work with new ideas or a new outlook. Secondly, there will be meetings of the whole club at breakfast for less formal conversation on the literary aspects of the classics. If possible financially, these social meetings will come once a week. At some of the breakfasts guests might be entertained who would talk informally on some literary topic. Thirdly, if the conferences should develop a desire for instruction on some special point, endeavors will be made to provide short lecture courses by young graduates of known ability, whether tutors of the club or not. To these lectures any member of the club may bring any friend interested in the subject.

The tutors at present are Mr. Charles P. Parker, B.A., of Balliol College, Oxford, Instructor in Greek and Latin at Harvard, and Mr. E. K. Rand, A.B., of Harvard '94, an experienced teacher. The largest number of pupils whom they can take together is six, and, as six undergraduates have already joined, there is at present no room for more. But the teaching force will probably be enlarged before next October, in which case more students can be admitted. The club will be named the Jowett Club, after the late Professor Jowett, from whose influence the idea of it it has in great part grown. The only executive officer at present is the organizing secretary, Mr. Charles P. Parker, 60 Shepard street, Cambridge.