YALE WINS THE FIRST GAME.

Two Home Runs and Three Singles in the Seventh Bring in Six Runs.

Yale won the first game with Harvard this year by a score of seven to four. Heavy batting brought in Yale's runs, six of which were earned, whereas none of Harvard's runs were earned. Fifteen hits with a total of twenty-four was Yale's record for the afternoon. Harvard's was six with a total of ten. The game was an exciting one throughout. For five innings the score stood even each side making a run the first inning. Harvard got the lead by scoring once in the sixth. Then came the fatal seventh inning. With one man out Yale commenced to hit the ball all over the field and before the inning was over had made three singles and two home runs, bringing in six runs in all. Harvard made two more runs in the ninth but that was all.

In the field both sides played good ball, although each made four errors. From the Harvard point of view it was the best game the home nine has put up in Cambridge this year and this too with a second substitute at shortstop.

Captain Whittemore's ankle is still too stiff and sore for him to play, and Dean's leg still kept him disabled, and so McVey of the freshman nine covered short. He fielded his position excellently, making but one error and having to his credit one put-out and five assists.

The record of Wrenn at second was marred by an error, which, fortunately however, did not cost anything.

With the exception of an inexcusable fumble of an easy grounder, Winslow put up a good game at third. His brilliant catch of Carter's hard drive in the sixth was one of the features of the game. He likewise made a good three-base hit in the ninth, which brought in one run. Stevenson covered his base well and had fourteen put-outs to his credit as well as two singles. Highlands's pitching was an easy mark for the Yale batters. At the bat, however, Highlands made two of Harvard's six hits.

Scannell's work behind the bat was excellent. In the fourth he made a fine catch of a high foul. His three-bagger in the first inning brought in Harvard's first run.

In the outfield, Hayes captured two good flies. Rand made an error which, however, was excusable. Paine at centre put up a star game, scooping in everything that came anywhere near him. His throwing was beautiful.

Yale made four rather bad and costly errors. Carter was in the box for six innings, and his pitching puzzled the Harvard nine. Only three hits were made off him and he struck out seven men. Trudeau then came in to pitch and Carter went to second, while Reddington took Letton's place in centre.

The decisions of Umpire O'Rourke were at times very questionable, especially those on balls and strikes, but he had the merit of being impartial.

The game opened with Harvard in the field and Rustin at the bat. He hit a sharp grounder which struck Highlands's hand and bounded to left field. Keator advanced him to second by a sacrifice hit to Winslow. Redington's hit looked safe, but McVey picked it up close to second base and then made a fine throw to first. Rustin took third during the play. Carter hit a hard one to Highlands which the latter could not quite stop, Rustin scoring. Stephenson singled to right, but Speer went out on a scarp liner to Rand.

Rand started out with a base on balls. Winslow flew out to Redington but Scannell came to the rescue with a splendid three base hit to deep centre field bringing Rand in. Hayes's grounder was fielded by Rustin, and Highlands flied out to Letton.

After Letton had gone out on a fly to Paine, Quinby made a clean two base hit to center field. Quinby tried to take third base, but Paine made a beautiful throw to McVey and the latter got the ball to Winslow in time to put the runner out. Greenway made a single, but Rustin hit a fly to Stevenson. For Harvard, Stevenson was given a base on balls but he got no farther than first base. Yale and Harvard both went out in order in the third inning.

In the fourth, Stephenson's grounder was fielded by Winslow and then Speer hit a high foul back of the reporter's bench which Scannell caught in brilliant style. Hayes also made a fine running catch of a short fly hit by Quinby. Hayes struck out, Highlands made a scratch hit, and Paine struck out on a poor decision by the umpire. Stevenson's grounder was fielded by Carter.

In the fifth, McVey made a fine stop of Greenway's grounder, and then Rustin hit to Wrenn, who fell down as he was going to throw the ball. Rustin then stole second, but was left there. With one out, Wrenn got a base on balls, but Rand hit a high fly to Rustin and Winslow struck out.

Carter opened the sixth for Yale with a low liner almost over third base. Winslow reached after it and fell on his side, catching the ball at arms length and close to the ground. It was one of the finest plays ever seen on Holmes Field. Speer reached first on a high fly, which fell between Winslow and Rand, but Letton and Quinby went out on a fly to Paine and a grounder to Wrenn respectively.

Harvard scored her second run. Rustin fumbled Scannell's sharp grounder and Hayes was presented with a base on balls. Highalnd's effort to bunt resulted in a pop fly to Carter, and Paine flied out to Stephenson. Stevenson made a timely single to centre field, bringing Scannell in. Hayes tried to take third on the throw to the plate, but was an easy out, Greenway to Quinby.

The seventh was disastrous for Harvard. McVey fielded Greenway's grounder well, but Rustin hit a liner between Paine and Rand which got by both the fielders and resulted in a home run. Keator's hit was deflected by Highlands to Wrenn, and he threw out the runner at first, but the umpire did not allow it. Redington reached first on McVey's error, and Carter made a single, filling the bases. Stephenson's hit bounded over Winslow's head, and two runs were added to Yale's score. Speer's long hit got lost in the crowd in centre field and three more runs were scored. Letton also hit a sharp liner, but it went directly into McVey's hands, and Quinby made the third man out on Wrenn's assist.

Trudeau was then put in to pitch, Carter going to second base and Redington taking Letton's place in centre field. Harvard could not get a man beyond first, although Wrenn reached the base, with only one man out, on Quinby's muff of his high fly near the plate.

Yale's first batter, Greenway, placed a single over second base; Rustin and Keator were out on high infield flies. Redington hit a long two-bagger to left field, but both men were left on Carter's hit to Winslow. Scannell hit the ball hard, but it went directly into Speer's hands. Hayes struck out, but Highlands got in a lucky single past Rustin. Paine's fly was caught by Redington.

For Yale, Stephenson led off with a two base hit, but the next three men could not advance him. Harvard's first man Stevenson hit a single to left field. A moment later Greenway threw to first to catch him off the base. The throw was poor, and the ball rolled to right field. Stevenson took second, and kept on to third as Keator let the ball get away from him. Wrenn was given a base on balls and as the last one was a wild pitch, Stevenson crossed the plate. Wrenn also scored on Winslow's three-bagger which Speer just managed to touch but could not hold. Scannell was so anxious to make a hit that he struck at anything, and consequently struck out, leaving Winslow on third.

The Score:

YALE.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Rustin, s.s., 5 2 2 2 2 1

Keator, r.f. 4 1 1 0 0 1

Redington, 2b., c.f. 5 1 1 3 0 0

Carter, p., 2b. 5 1 2 1 1 0

Stephenson, 1b. 5 1 3 6 0 0

Speer l.f. 5 1 2 1 0 0

Letton c.f. 4 0 1 2 0 0

S. Quinby, 3b. 5 0 1 1 0 1

Greenway, c. 5 0 2 11 1 1

Trudeau, p. 1 0 0 0 1 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 44 7 15 27 5 4

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Rand, l.f. 4 1 0 1 0 1

Winslow, 3b. 5 0 1 2 3 1

Scannell, c. 5 1 1 2 0 0

Hayes, r.f. 3 0 0 2 0 0

Highlands, p. 4 0 2 0 1 0

Paine, c.f. 4 0 0 5 1 0

Stevenson, 1b. 3 1 2 14 0 0

McVey, s.s. 4 0 0 1 5 1

Wrenn, 2b. 2 1 0 0 3 1

- - - - - -

Totals, 34 4 6 27 13 4

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yale, 1 0 0 0 0 0 6 0 0-7

Harvard, 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2-4

Earned Runs - Yale 6. Two base hits - S. Quinby, Redington, Stephenson. Three base hits - Scannell, Winslow. Home runs - Rustin, Speer. Sacrifice hits - Keator, Redington, Stolen bases - Rustin, Speer. First base on balls - Rand, Stevenson, Wrenn, Hayes. Wild pitch - Trudeau. Struck out - McVey 2, Winslow 2, Scannell 2, Hayes 2, Paine, Trudeau. Umpire - O'Rourke. Time - 1h. 45m.