BROWN, 13; HARVARD, 6.

Brown's Strength and Harvard's Weakness at the Bat Tell the Story.

Brown won the third and last game of the series with Harvard yesterday afternoon by a score of thirteen to six. Eighteen hits to six practically tells the story of the game. For three innings Brown batted Highlands all over the field. Paine then came into the box and kept Brown down for three innings, but after that Brown hit the ball fully much wherever it pleased. On the other hand, with the exception of Scannell, Harvard could do nothing at the bat. Scannell hit two beautiful three-baggers past the willows, on the last of which he could have reached home if he had been able to run faster. The rest of the nine could only make four hits, two of which were the most horrible scratches imaginable. How weak and ineffective the Harvard batting was can be seen from the fact that but eight balls in the whole game went past the infield, and two of these were Scannell's hits. In the field Harvard made but four errors, but these were bad ones. Two of these were in the outfield. Rand made one of his wild throws and Burgess muffed an easy fly, while his throwing was remarkably weak. Stevenson muffed a ball which was hit to him, while Paine let an easy grounder through him.

Brown's fielding was ragged. If Harvard could have batted the ball at all it had plenty of chances to win the game. In the second inning, with none out, Scannell could not reach home from third base. In the fourth, with men on second and third, the nine went out. In the fifth Rand was left on second and in the eighth Morton was left on third. Morton, who ran for Burgess, was the only man on the nine who knew how to run bases. Dean, who took Whittemore's place at short, accepted four chances, but was exceedingly weak at the bat.

For Brown, White and Lauder put up the best games in the field, while the whole nine was strong at the bat.

Brown came to the bat first. Two hits, a passed ball and a wild throw of Rand's over Scannell's head allowed two runs to come in. Harvard did not score in the first two innings, though in the second Scannell reached third on the first of his long hits.

Three more runs came in for Brown in the second. A single by Brady, a three bagger by White, followed by two more singles and the score was five to nothing.

Brown was shut out in the third, though Fultz got as far as third base. Harvard made her first run in this inning. Donovan's fumble, two passed balls and a wild throw by Lowney allowed Stevenson to score.

Paine commenced to pitch in the fourth inning and Brown was again shut out. Harvard scored again. With one out Scannell got his base on balls and stole second. Burgess got his base on balls. Wrenn flied out to short. Dean then hit to short, who missed the ball, and Scannell scored. Stevenson made the third out.

In the fifth a base on balls and two singles brought in another run for Brown, while Harvard did nothing.

In the sixth Harvard tied the score, making four runs. Scannell led off with his second three-bagger, and scored on a wild throw by Lauder. Two bases on balls, a couple of scratch hits which should have been easy outs, and good base running on the part of Morton and three more runs came in before the inning was ended.

With two men out in the seventh, Donovan knocked a single to centre field, Robinson then hit to left field, the ball hit the edge of the running track and bounded out of Rand's reach and both men came home. Harvard failed to score again.

In the ninth Brown piled up five more runs. Paine weakened; three singles were made off him and moreover he gave a base on balls with the bases full; a passed ball by Scannell and a bad muff by Burgess, and in all five runs were made before the game was ended.

The score:

BROWN.

A.B. R. E. P.O. A. E.

Donovan, 2b. 6 4 3 2 2 1

Robinson, r.f. 4 2 3 2 0 0

Bustard, 1b. 5 1 0 11 0 0

Lauder, c. 6 1 1 7 2 1

Lowney, 3b. 5 1 1 1 1 1

Fultz, s.s. 5 1 3 2 2 2

Bradley, c.f. 6 1 4 0 0 0

Cook, l.f. 6 0 0 2 0 0

White, p. 5 2 3 0 4 0

- - - - - -

Totals, 48 13 18 27 11 5

HARVARD.

A.B. R. B. P.O. A. E.

Winslow, 3b. 5 0 1 2 0 0

Rand, l.f. 5 0 2 4 0 1

Hayes, r.f. 5 0 0 1 0 0

Scannell, c. 3 2 2 9 0 0

Burgess, c.f. 2 1 1 2 0 1

Wrenn, 2b. 4 0 0 2 1 0

Dean, s.s. 3 1 0 0 4 0

Stevenson, 1b. 4 1 0 6 0 1

Highlands, p. 1 0 0 0 1 0

Paine, p. 2 1 0 1 1 1

- - - - - -

Totals, 34 6 6 27 7 4

Inning, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Brown, 2 3 0 0 1 0 2 0 5-13

Harvard, 0 0 1 1 0 4 0 0 0-6

Earned runs - Brown 6. Home run - Robinson. Three-base hits - White, Scannell 2. Two-base hit - Robinson. Struck out - Bustard, Cook 2, White 2, Winslow 2, Paine, Brady, Dean, Stevenson. Base on balls - Scannell, Burgess, Fultz, Robinson, Dean, Paine, Bustard. Stolen bases - Donovan, Scannell, Rand, Lowney, Burgess 2, Dean, Paine. Passed balls - Scannell 2, Lauder 2. Wild pitch - Highlands. Hit by pitched ball - Robinson, Burgess. Double play - Dean, Wrenn and Stevenson. Umpire - Quinn. Time - 2h. 15m.