The Co-operative Society.

On Friday evening of this week will be held the annual meeting of the Co-operative society. The business of the meeting will consist of the election of officers and the reading of reports from the various committees and from the superintendent. The past year has been the most successful in the history of the society. Under the system that prevailed up to the beginning of the present year, considerable dissatisfaction was felt to exist, and to remove this the present system was devised by the superintendent, Mr. Waterman, and adopted by the society. The wisdom of this change is shown by the fact that the amount of business transacted this year has been sixty per cent greater than last year. In some departments the prices have been raised slightly; in others, as in the furnishing department, no change has been made, while the prices of text books has even been lowered. At the end of the year a dividend will be declared by the society, and this divident will be distributed, each member receiving a sum proportionate to the profits on his purchases. The profits are, of course, from the nature of the society, necessarily small, but the aggregate for the year will be an appreciable amount. A very careful, yet simple system of book-keeping has been adopted, so that the profit on each sale can be seen at a glance. The present scheme by which every member of the University may purchase from the stock of the society at prices far below those charged by the regular tradesmen will undoubtedly be continued in the future.