Choice of College Studies.

The following information with regard to the choice of studies is taken from the pamphlet of "Rules Relating to College Studies" to be obtained at the Publication Office. In making his choice, the student is limited to those studies which his previous training qualifies him to pursue; and he must observe any restrictions that may be attached to the particular courses he wishes to select. He is further required to avoid any conflict of recitation hours of examinations between his courses.

No starred course may be chosen without the previous consent of the instructor.

An undergraduate who wishes to take a graduate course is required to consult the instructor in advance. He will be admitted to the course on the recommendation of the instructor, which must be written on the back of the card on which he writes his list of studies.

Not more than one Course of Research may be taken in any year by an undergraduate.

Students are strongly urged to choose their studies with the utmost care, under the best advice, and in such a manner that their studies from first to last may form a rationally connected whole. It is believed that any plan of study, deliberately made and adhered to, will be more profitable than studies chosen from year to year, without pain, under the influence of temporary preferences.

It will be seen that students who prefer a course like that usually prescribed by American colleges may secure it by a corresponding choice of studies; while others, who have decided tastes, or think it wiser to concentrate their study on a few subjects, obtain every facility for doing so.

Undergraduates who intend to study Engineering are advised to consult the Professor of Engineering with reference to the best courses for them to take in college. To those who intend to study Medicine the Medical Faculty recommends Natural History, Chemistry, Physics, French and German. To those who intend to study Law the Law Faculty recommends Latin, French, Themes and Forensics, Elocution, Oral Discussion, Rhetoric, Logic, Ethics, Political Economy, Constitutional and Legal History and the History of Institutions, International Law and Roman Law.

Opportunities for consultation in regard to choice of studies will be provided as follows:

(1) A representative of each department will be at a place to be announced on the bulletin board, from 10 to 1 o'clock on Wednesday, September 25.

(2) All instructors will be in specified rooms (to be announced on the bulletin boards) in or near the College Yard from 9 to 12 o'clock on Thursday, September 26, the first day of the academic year.