Graduate Courses.

The handbook of Graduate Courses for 1895-96, edited by a board of graduate students from different Universities has recently been issued. C. A. Duniway of the Harvard Graduate School is the editor-in-chief. The handbook contains, besides that grouping of graduate courses in the principal schools of the country under the various departments of instruction, which was its prime object, a brief account of the convention of graduate clubs held in New York last April with the address then drawn up to the governing boards of American Universities. There are also a list of the graduate clubs affiliated and introductory accounts of the colleges and universities whose courses of instruction are included in the handbook. These are Barnard, Brown, Bryn Mawr, California, Chicago, Clark, Columbia, Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Leland Jtanford, Jr., Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Princeton, Radcliffe, Vanderbilt, Western Reserve, Wisconsin and Yale.

The best statement of the nature of the handbook and of its purposes is found in the preface and explanatory note.

"The primary purpose of this Handbook of Graduate Courses is to furnish in compact form accurate information that will be sought for by advanced students. If that result is attained, the Handbook justifies its existence. Such students will consult it to learn what institutions and what professors offer courses in the subjects they wish to pursue; what has been the academic career of those professors; what amount of time is asked for each course; what numbers of Graduate Students have been registered in the specified departments; what fees are required of Graduate students; what Fellowships, Scholarships, and other pecuniary aids are open to them; what requirements for admission to advanced courses and for advanced degrees are imposed, etc.

"It is hoped that officers of administration and instruction,- in fact, all persons interested in the development of graduate study in America-will also find its pages interesting and valuable.

"The reader is asked to bear in mind that the editors have not sought to include all graduate courses offered in America, nor attempted to give details as to give details as to the courses herein presented. In the first place, the intention has been to omit all purely professional work. In the next place, the Handbook has been and is a growth. The edition of 1893 included eleven institutions, while this includes twenty-one, and future issues may be gradually enlarged in scope. For all details the reader is referred to the full announcements published by the several colleges and universities and freely sent to all applicants.

"The plan of these lists of graduate courses was: (1) to use convenient general titles for grouping courses on related subjects; (2) to mention special facilities in cach department of the several institutions, with the fellowships and scholarships open to graduate students; (3) to state the numbers of graduate students who took courses in each department during 1894-5; (4) to present brief statements of the collegiate experience of instructors, with some of the subjects on which they have published; (5) to give all the advanced courses definitely offered by each instructor, using short titles, and indicating the amount of time required for each course; (6) to enclose in brackets all courses not to be given in 1895-6; (7) to mark with the asterisk courses open also to undergraduates; (8) to dring all the work of each instructor into a form for ready reference by an index of names."

The following is the board of assistant editors: Barnard, Helen Annan; Brown, Adolph C. Ely; Bryn Mawr, Annie Crosby Emery; California, E. N. Henderson; Chicago, I. W. Howerth; Clark, T. W. Edmondson; Columbia, F. L. Lugneer; Cornell, A. F. Weber; Harvard, F. P. Gulliver; Johns Hopkins, C. C. Schenk; Leland Stanford, Jr., J. C. Kirtland; Michigan, Melvin P. Porter; Minnesota, E. B. Johson; New York, L. J. Tompkins; Pennsylvania, Ellis A. Schnabel; Princeton, Frank F. Thompson; Radcliffe, Kate O. Peterson; Vanderbilt, D. T. McIntyre; Western Reserve, Charles T. Hickok; Wisconsin, J. F. Morse; Yale, Clive Day.

The editor-in-chief invites any criticisms and suggestions that will be of assistance in the future issues of the Handbook.